Why do we need Trademark Guidelines?
Open Source License vs. Trademarks
Proper Use of the Greenplum Database Marks
Nominative Use You may engage in “nominative use” of the Greenplum Database name, but this does not allow you to use the logo. Nominative use is sometimes called “fair use” of a trademark, and does not require a trademark license from us. Here are examples:
- You may use the Greenplum Database Marks in connection with development of tools, add-ons, or utilities that are compatible with bit-for-bit identical copies of official Greenplum Database software. For example: For example, if you are developing a Foobar tool for Greenplum Database, acceptable project titles would be “Foobar for Greenplum Database”.
- You may use the Greenplum Database Marks in connection with your noncommercial redistribution of (1) bit-for-bit identical copies of official Greenplum Database software, and (2) unmodified copies of official Greenplum Database source packages. For example, if your Foobar product included a full redistribution of official Greenplum Database Software or source code packages: “Greenplum Database-powered Foobar Product“. We strongly discourage, and likely would consider it a trademark problem, to use a name such as “Greenplum Database Foobar.”
- If you offer maintenance, support, or hosting services for Greenplum Database software, you may accurately state that in your marketing materials or portfolio, without using the Greenplum Database logo.
- You may modify the Greenplum Database software and state that your modified software is “based on the Greenplum Database software” or a similar accurate statement, without using the Greenplum Database logo.
- You may engage in community advocacy. The Greenplum Database software is developed by and for its community. We will allow the use of the word trademark in this context, provided:
- The trademark is used in a manner consistent with this policy.
- There is no commercial purpose behind the use.
- There is no suggestion that your project is approved, sponsored, or affiliated with VMware.
- User or Development Groups. You may create Greenplum Database user or development groups, and publicize meetings or discussions for those groups. Please consider joining our official group.
Attribution Identify the trademarks as trademarks of VMware, as set forth in Section 7.
Redistribution of Binaries If you redistribute binaries that you have downloaded from the Greenplum Database repository, you should retain the logos and name of the product. However, if you make any changes to the binaries (other than configuration or installation changes that do not involve changes to the source code), or if you re-build binaries from our source code, you should not use our logos. Our logos represent our quality control, so they should be retained where the product has been built by us, but not otherwise. Our source code does not include logo image files, to remind you to follow this rule.
Capitalization “Greenplum Database” should always be capitalized and two words.
Adjectives Use the Greenplum Database mark as an adjective, not a noun or verb.
Improper Use of the Trademarks and Logos
Commercial Use You may not use the Greenplum Database Marks in connection with commercial redistribution of Greenplum Database software (commercial redistribution includes, but is not limited to, redistribution in connection with any commercial business activities or revenue-generating business activities) regardless of whether the Greenplum Database software is unmodified.
Entity Names You may not form a company, use a company name, or create a software product name that includes the “Greenplum Database” trademark, or implies any foundational or authorship role. If you have a software product that works with Greenplum Database, it is suggested you use terms such as ‘ for Greenplum Database’ or ‘, Greenplum Database Edition.” If you wish to form an entity for a user or developer group, please contact us and we will be glad to discuss a license for a suitable name.
Class or Quality You may not imply that you are providing a class or quality of Greenplum Database (e.g., “enterprise-class” or “commercial quality”) in a way that implies Greenplum Database is not of that class, grade or quality, nor that other parties are not of that class, grade, or quality.
Combinations Use of the Greenplum Database Marks to identify software that combines any portion of the Greenplum Database software with any other software, unless the combined distribution is an official Greenplum Database distribution. For example, you may not distribute a combination of the Greenplum Database software with software released by the Foobar project under the name “Greenplum Database Foobar Distro”.
False or Misleading Statements You may not make false or misleading statements regarding your use of Greenplum Database (e.g., “we wrote the majority of the code” or “we are major contributors” or “we are committers”).
Domain Names You must not use Greenplum Database or any confusingly similar phrase in a domain name. For instance “www.greenplumhost.com” is not allowed. If you wish to use such a domain name for a non-commercial user or developer group to engage in community advocacy, please contact us and we will be glad to discuss a license for a suitable domain name. Because of the many persons who, unfortunately, seek to spoof, swindle or deceive the community by using confusing domain names, we must be very strict about this rule.
Merchandise You must not manufacture, sell or give away merchandise items, such as T-shirts and mugs, bearing the Greenplum Database logo, or create any mascot for the project. If you wish to use the logo to do this for a non-commerical user or developer group to engage in community advocacy, please contact us and we will be glad to discuss a license to do this.
Variations, takeoffs or abbreviations You may not use a variation of the Greenplum Database name or logo for any purpose other than common usage of these in community communications. For example, the following are not acceptable:
- Greenplum Guru
Endorsement or Sponsorship You may not use the Greenplum Database trademarks in a manner that would imply VMware’s affiliation with or endorsement, sponsorship, or support of a product or service.
Rebranding You may not change the trademark on unmodified Greenplum Database software to your own brand. You may not hold yourself out as the source of the Greenplum Database software, except to the extent you have modified it as allowed under the Apache 2.0 license, and you make it clear that you are the source only of the modification.
Combination Marks Do not use our trademarks in combination with any other marks or logos (for example Foobar Greenplum Database, or the name of your company or product typeset to look like the Greenplum Database logo).
Web Tags Do not use the Greenplum Database trademark in a title or metatag of a web page to influence search engine rankings or result listings, rather than for discussion or advocacy of the Greenplum Database project.
Proper Notice and Attribution
If you have questions about this policy, please contact us at email@example.com.