Starts a Greenplum Database system.
gpstart [-d master_data_directory] [-B parallel_processes] [-R] [-m] [-y] [-a] [-t timeout_seconds] [-l logfile_directory] [-v | -q] gpstart -? | -h | --help gpstart --version
The gpstart utility is used to start the Greenplum Database server processes. When you start a Greenplum Database system, you are actually starting several postgres database server listener processes at once (the master and all of the segment instances). The gpstart utility handles the startup of the individual instances. Each instance is started in parallel.
The first time an administrator runs gpstart, the utility creates a hosts cache file named .gphostcache in the user's home directory. Subsequently, the utility uses this list of hosts to start the system more efficiently. If new hosts are added to the system, you must manually remove this file from the gpadmin user's home directory. The utility will create a new hosts cache file at the next startup.
Before you can start a Greenplum Database system, you must have initialized the system using gpinitsystem first.
- -a (do not prompt)
- Do not prompt the user for confirmation.
- -B parallel_processes
- The number of segments to start in parallel. If not specified, the utility will start up to 64 parallel processes depending on how many segment instances it needs to start.
- -d master_data_directory
- Optional. The master host data directory. If not specified, the value set for $MASTER_DATA_DIRECTORY will be used.
- -l logfile_directory
- The directory to write the log file. Defaults to ~/gpAdminLogs.
- -m (master only)
- Optional. Starts the master instance only, which may be useful for maintenance tasks. This mode only allows connections to the master in utility mode. For example:
PGOPTIONS='-c gp_session_role=utility' psql
- -q (no screen output)
- Run in quiet mode. Command output is not displayed on the screen, but is still written to the log file.
- -R (restricted mode)
- Starts Greenplum Database in restricted mode (only database superusers are allowed to connect).
- -t timeout_seconds
- Specifies a timeout in seconds to wait for a segment instance to start up. If a segment instance was shutdown abnormally (due to power failure or killing its postgres database listener process, for example), it may take longer to start up due to the database recovery and validation process. If not specified, the default timeout is 60 seconds.
- -v (verbose output)
- Displays detailed status, progress and error messages output by the utility.
- -y (do not start standby master)
- Optional. Do not start the standby master host. The default is to start the standby master host and synchronization process.
- -? | -h | --help (help)
- Displays the online help.
- --version (show utility version)
- Displays the version of this utility.
Start a Greenplum Database system:
Start a Greenplum Database system in restricted mode (only allow superuser connections):
Start the Greenplum master instance only and connect in utility mode:
gpstart -m PGOPTIONS='-c gp_session_role=utility' psql